Does the High Commissioner provide a family mediation service?

No. Family conflicts are private matters and do not fall within the jurisdiction of the High Commissioner. If you are seeking mediation for this type of matter, you can contact the Family Mediation service, which is part of the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs (Family Mediator: Mrs Véronique PRAT – Address: 6 Boulevard de Belgique, Résidence le Saint-Sébastien, Entrée B, 98000, Monaco – Tel.: (+377) 98 98 21 12 / Fax: (+377) 97 77 13 53/ Email: This mediator specialises in family matters, and may be able to assist you.

I am not happy with a judicial ruling. Can the High Commissioner help me?

No. If you are unhappy with a judicial ruling, you can appeal against the ruling through the usual legal channels, provided that it is not a final decision. The High Commissioner cannot contest the grounds of a judicial ruling once it has been made. The courts are the ultimate guarantors of rights and freedoms and the application of the law. They are the supreme legal authority and have the final say on all appeals.

I have a grievance with a neighbour, retailer or service provider. Can the High Commissioner help?

No. The High Commissioner does not intervene in private conflicts. You will need to resolve your grievance directly with the third party concerned or use the legal appeal channels available to you.

I am a civil servant or agent and I disagree with a decision made about me by my line manager. Can I appeal to the High Commissioner?

The High Commissioner's role is to assist public service users. It does not intervene in internal working disputes between administrative authorities themselves, or between administrative authorities and civil servants or agents, except where such cases involve discrimination. It does not have the authority to intervene in matters such as working conditions, career management and discipline. However, the High Commissioner has the power to intervene in employment priority matters, if the grievance relates to an appointment where the law governing priority of employment may have been violated. It may also intervene in matters relating to access to social welfare benefit and family services, as well as cases involving the administrative situation of civil servants or agents who have left their post.